Tuesday 11 October 2011

Thrift & Thrive

I do read quite a lot of blogs that are really helpful with tips on frugality and thriftiness. Most of them talk about how to live on the lowest amount possible, because some of these bloggers have serious reasons behind their necessity to count every penny. I'm not in the same situation as them but I am greatly interested in what they say and do, and I have every respect for them, and I also value their tips and advice. I just can't stand waste of any kind, it's just not right. The less wasteful we are the more there is to go round.
For the last few years I have become more creative with left over food, and in using what I already have in the store cupboard. I find it very satisfying to create a truly good meal form odds and ends.
So I'm loving this book, lent by a friend at work.


 Page 170 Spaghetti with Tuna and  Olives, serves 3.

450g spaghetti
1 x 210g tin tuna in oil
1 large onion peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
110g button mushrooms sliced or quartered
450g ripe tomatoes, skinned
tbsp tomato puree
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
50g green olives
a little butter
grated parmesan cheese
seasoning



First drain the oil from the tin of tuna into a saucepan, heat it gently and fry the onion and garlic until softened. Then add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes. Now add the tomatoes to the pan, then the tuna, tomato puree and Herbes de Provence, cover and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced to a nice consistency. Next add the olives, taste and season. Cook the spaghetti as per instructions, and drain and toss a little butter in. Serve with the sauce and some Parmesan cheese.

I don't usually buy tuna in oil because I think it's extra calories but had some in my cupboard that my son had bought a while ago. It was perfect in this recipe and saved using my normal oil, plus added extra flavour. I swopped the fresh tomatoes for tinned and the Herbes de Provence for a mixture of herbs I already had. Left out the butter, again extra calories, and used a bit of Cheddar on top instead of Parmesan. It was absolutely delicious.


1 comment:

Morgana Extends A Warm Welcome To My Latest Followers

100 followers and counting. Thank you all.